Top Superfoods and Ikigai
Happiness is when you are busy.
The term “ Superfoods ” is a comparatively new word in the world of foods. If I have to explain in simple terms, it will be foods that provide minimum calories with maximum nutritional benefits. They are loaded with minerals, antioxidants and vitamins. When superfoods are combined with the term Ikigai, that means there are certain foods, which are high in fibres and largely plant base.
To understand Ikigai Superfoods, first, you need to be aware of the term “Ikigai”. It is a term which Japanese believes, which means in simple words doing something which keeps you busy and happy every day. In other words, you can say happiness is when you are busy. It is not a secret that Japan has the highest life expectancy. To have a long and healthy life, you need to be happy and have food that is high in nutrients and antioxidants. In their terms, to lead such a life they believe in the term “Ikigai”. Their secret to long and happy lives.
Ikigai is a concept that is associated with their culture for centuries. For them, Ikigai is not a term but a complete lifestyle. Ikigai is practised by a certain group of people living in a province named Okinawa. In this province, there is a maximum number of people who are more than 100 years of age known as centenarians.
Diet plays a big role in their lives, it is known as the Ikigai diet. There is 10 to 15 food that they eat every day because they are rich in antioxidants. You can also call this food the superfood of Okinawans. They are tofu, tuna, carrots, onions, rice, miso, sweet potato, soy sprouts, seaweeds, cabbage, soybeans, peppers, jasmine tea, bitter melon, sea kelp. Nowadays all these are available around the globe, but you might find it difficult to find everything. In that case, it is better to look for the equivalent food which is easily available in your local shops.
- Vegetables like kale, broccoli, peppers, cabbage, cucumber, carrots are high in minerals, vitamins.
- Fishes like tuna, salmon, mackerels. These fishes are oily which makes them rich in antioxidants.
- Grains such as rice, beans, kinds of wheat are high in fibre and give energy.
- All the colourful fruits which are available in the local market, such as citrus fruits, apples, kinds of berries, apricot, prunes. They are rich in antioxidants and vitamins.
- Dried fruits such as almonds, dried prunes, walnuts are excellent sources of instant energy.
- And lastly, olive oil they are rich in vitamins and antioxidants. Apart from cooking, it can be used directly on your body.
These are the superfoods if included in your regular diet, will help you to stay happy, healthy, focused and active. Ultimately, “you are, what you eat.” Most importantly, besides having these superfoods, stay active as long as you can, have a good sleep, stay focused, be busy and get involved in anything which gives you joy physically and peace mentally.
*(This article is curated with reference from the book named “Ikigai” by Hector Garcia and Francesc Miralles)
Lastly, if you like my post, please leave a comment below and follow me for more such posts. Till then happy writing.